Small Group Sermon Discussion Resources
May 22, 2022
Invitation to Wholeness: Invitation to Formation
II Corinthians 3:16-18 & Philippians 3:12-14
Richard Dahlstrom, Senior Teaching Pastor, www.spiritsoulbody.org
Three verbs define the “what” and “how” of spiritual formation:
I. Behold (the glory of the Lord) - II Corinthians 3
II. Release (your past) - Philippians 3
III. Offer (your body to God) - Romans 12
Before questions, attempt to give the group a bit of a summary of the main points of the sermon and then choose a few questions that fit your group’s needs and style. We don’t intend for you to use all of these. Three to five questions may be a good number.
Begin by reading II Corinthians 3:16-18 and Philippians 3:12-14 aloud, taking turns reading the passages.
Pray over the group before beginning discussion.
- Pastor Richard shared how the world is experiencing a crisis of formation, a lack of value of working to become better people.
- Do you see a culture of formation anywhere in your life?
- What do you think a culture of formation looks like?
- Consider what it means to behold the glory of the Lord. Read 2 Corinthians 3:17-18 together.
- What does beholding the glory of the Lord mean to you?
- What’s a moment in your life you can look back on and see the glory of God? This could be anything from big moments to a small recognition of beauty or grace.
- What’s a way you can behold the glory of God this week?
- Pastor Richard taught on how triviality is what distracts us from beholding glory. What is an area of your life where triviality distracts you from engaging in beholding?
- What does it mean to you to release your past?
- If we believe in the possibility of transformation for ourselves, we are also called to believe in the possibility of transformation for others. Is there a person or area of culture in which you do not have hope of transformation for?
- What could it look like for you this week to offer your body as a living sacrifice?