Next Steps from the Spiritual Life Assessment
As we seek to stay rooted in Christ, we are focusing on four roots of health: formation, leadership, mission, and care. The following are suggested resources to help you cultivate formation and study in your life.
- The Reason for God by Timothy Keller
“Addresses the frequent doubts that skeptics and non-believers bring to religion.”
- The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
“Strobel's tough, point-blank questions make this Gold Medallion-winning book read like a captivating, fast-paced novel.”
- The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel
“Strobel turns his skills to the most persistent emotional objections to belief---the eight 'heart barriers' to faith.”
- Basic Christianity by John Stott
“John Stott's clear, classic book examines the historical facts on which Christianity stands.”
- Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
C. S. Lewis proves that "at the center of each there is something, or a Someone, who against all divergences of belief, all differences of temperament, all memories of mutual persecution, speaks with the same voice," rejecting the boundaries that divide Christianity's many denominations.
- O2: Breathing New Life into Faith by Richard Dahlstrom
“This thoughtful and inspiring description of a healthy life of faith leads to a balanced and holistic spirituality that mirrors Jesus’ life and teaching.”
- The Colors of Hope: Becoming People of Mercy, Justice, and Love by Richard Dahlstrom
“Christians should be artists who paint with the colors of hope in a broken world, embodying Christ's redemptive presence in our personal lives, our work, and our relationships.”
- The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson, John Sherrill, and Elizabeth Sherrill
“Wilkerson's story continues to inspire renewed faith in God's ability to overcome problems that even the most determined human efforts cannot resolve.”
- Timothy Keller podcast
- The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren
“The Purpose Driven Life will enable a new generation … to discover God's purposes for their lives and empower your church with a fresh new wind of hope, joy, and vitality!”
- Why Jesus? By Ravi Zacharias
“In this brilliant and compelling critique of the dangers of the New Spirituality, Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias applies some vigorous therapy to counter this assault on rational thought and shows why the uniqueness of Jesus matters.”
- Recapture the Wonder by Ravi Zacharias
“Break free from the weariness and cynicism of life to enjoy God's amazing promise of childlike joy! It's time to reclaim that awesome sense of wonder--to experience God's amazing promise of childlike joy.”
- Knowing God by J.I. Packer
“J. I. Packer's classic has revealed to over one million Christians around the world the wonder, the glory and the joy of knowing God.”
- A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene Peterson
"In ... Psalms 120-134 Peterson finds encouragement for modern pilgrims as we learn to grow in worship, service, joy, work, happiness, humility, community and blessing."
- The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer
"A.W. Tozer's classic Christian work covers: 1. Following Hard After God 2. The Blessedness of Possessing Nothing 3. Removing the Veil 4. Apprehending God 5. The Universal Presence 6. The Speaking Voice 7. The Gaze of the Soul 8. Restoring the Creator-Creature Relation 9. Meekness and Rest 10. The Sacrament of Living"
- The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"One of the most important theologians of the twentieth century illuminates the relationship between ourselves and the teachings of Jesus."
- Life Together by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"This story of a unique fellowship in an underground seminary during the Nazi years reads like one of Paul's letters."
- The Spirit of the Disciplines by Dallas Willard
"Dallas Willard ... reveals how the key to self-transformation resides in the practice of the spiritual disciplines, and how their practice affirms human life to the fullest."
- Thru the Bible by Dr. J. Vernon McGee
"in-depth, paragraph-by-paragraph discussions of key verses and passages. Purchase the entire five-volume set or collect them individually as your study progresses."
- The God Who is There by Francis Schaeffer
"In Francis Schaeffer's remarkable analysis, we learn where the clashing ideas about God, science, history and art came from and where they are going."
- Evidence that Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell
"... an easy-to-read, front-line defense for Christians facing the tough questions of critics and skeptics."
- Defending Your Faith by R.C. Sproul
"Dr. R. C. Sproul ... focuses on defending the basic truth claims for two of the most crucial issues of apologetics: God's existence and the Bible's authority."
- The Apologetics Study Bible
"... helps today’s Christians better understand, defend, and proclaim their beliefs in this age of increasing moral and spiritual relativism."
- Know Why You Believe by Paul Little
"[a] clear and reasonable response to the toughest intellectual challenges posed to Christian belief."