Sign In Location Menu

Our History

About-North.jpg

BETHANY’S STORY AS A CHURCH BEGINS 100 YEARS AGO.

Here are some of the highlights:

  • Early 1900s: Our story begins around 1900, when settlers in the newly incorporated City of Ballard start a mission to the local Native Americans.
  • 1916: Bethany Baptist Church forms at 61st & 20th Streets in Ballard
  • 1956: Becomes non-denominational Bethany Assembly
  • 1957: John and Ione McCullough begin 37 years of ministry at Bethany
  • 1960: Church draws many students from SPU and UW
  • 1969: Moves to the current location at North 80th and Stone Ave.
  • 1971: Name changes to Bethany Community Church
  • 1980: Building across the street purchased; becomes the Christian Education Building
  • 1995: Richard and Donna Dahlstrom begin ministry in December
  • 2005: Regular attendance outgrows Chapel Building
  • 2008: First Sunday in the new Sanctuary on Stone Avenue
  • 2010: Official launch of Bethany North and Bethany West Seattle
  • 2012: 20•20 Vision sets the stage for congregations across Seattle
  • 2014: Official launch of Bethany Northeast and Bethany Eastside
  • 2015: Official launch of Bethany Ballard; Richard and Donna Dahlstrom celebrate 20 years of ministry at Bethany
  • 2016: Demolition of the CE Building, construction begins on the new Community Life Center