Our History

About-Eastside.jpg

Bethany’s story as a church begins 100 years ago. Here are some of the highlights from our community's past:

Early 1900s: Our story begins around 1900, when settlers in the newly incorporated City of Ballard start a mission to the local Native Americans.
1916: Bethany Baptist Church forms at 61st & 20th Streets in Ballard
1956: Becomes non-denominational Bethany Assembly
1957: John and Ione McCullough begin 37 years of ministry at Bethany
1960: Church draws many students from SPU and UW
1969: Moves to the current location at North 80th and Stone Ave.
1971: Name changes to Bethany Community Church
1980: Building across the street purchased; becomes the Christian Education Building
1995: Richard and Donna Dahlstrom begin ministry in December
2005: Regular attendance outgrows Chapel Building
2008: First Sunday in the new Sanctuary on Stone Avenue
2010: Official launch of Bethany North and Bethany West Seattle
2012: 20•20 Vision sets the stage for congregations across Seattle
2014: Official launch of Bethany Northeast and Bethany Eastside
2015: Official launch of Bethany Ballard; Richard and Donna Dahlstrom celebrate 20 years of ministry at Bethany
2016: Demolition of the CE Building, construction begins on the new Community Life Center